Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Stand Up But Don't Rock The Boat…


I like boats, I like big boats and I like small boats. Big boats are powerful machines manned by many to help and assist in every detail so that the boat can run smoothly. Small boats can be run by as little as one person. Both boats, however, require the persons to be capable of their given duty and to excel in that task. If someone fails it means more work of others until that job is fulfilled and stability once again maintained. While alone you face the responsibility of performing all duties and it can get exhausting, but as a team that stability is a dream and even allows for a rest when the burden of the task overtakes us.

Many of the "boats" I've been a part of have had great values and strive for excellence as they sail the seas. As a passionate person, I also strive to be the best I can be and to find ways that will make the stormy sea a more pleasant journey; not only for myself, but for the rest of the crew as well. I've been encouraged to stand up, ask questions, and seek to find better means to an end. Sometimes the captain will show me a better way while changing my viewpoint and other times my dreams have come to fruition as I imagined they would.

Sadly too often, while on one hand being told to stand up, I am simply told to sit back down, not to agitate the issue, remain seated, and don't rock the boat. The view on the boat is great but it continues to rock even while under clear skies. I understand that the captain has a lot on his plate and other commanders to report to who oversee many ships, but how many times can the waves crash? How many pirates can plunder? How many icebergs can one hit? How many times can other crew members slouch on their duties, before standing up does no good? When one constantly gets told to stand up and express better ways only to be told to not rock the boat, it becomes hard to be efficient and it becomes hard to be passionate in performing your own task and stability wanes.

While finding an image for this post, the linked site (found HERE) had the following poem and since they lead with it, I find it fitting to end with it…

“A Dream Deferred”

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore—and then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over—like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

~ Langston Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment